Wednesday, September 24, 2008

All Done.....for this year....

I LOVE canning season! but Man - am I tired!
I think this is the first year EVER that I have filled EVERY canning jar that I own!
I MUST say thank you to my mom and my mom-in-law for being such great teachers and examples! They have taught me(and continue to teach me) everything I know about canning! I REALLY do enjoy it! OH! I must say thank you to my dad, too. He was able to come help me with my pears for several hours on two different days! THANK YOU DAD! Jason was especially happy to have Grandpa here!!! Jason would like it if they could just hang out together EVERY DAY!!!
I must note that I missed having the help of my sis-in-law this year! We usually team up on our peaches and pears(she is the best pear peeler EVER!) but, she is out for this season cuz she's expecting a little one in November -and supposed to be taking it easy so as the babe won't come too early(like her last one did at 10 weeks early!) -Mary, you have not been replaced!
Anyway, I have finished up my canning season with something new, "peach salsa" - it doesn't LOOK as pretty as I thought it would - but it tastes pretty good! -
For about the past 5 years, we have been doing most of our canning outside -using camp stoves. It has worked out so nicely and keeps a lot of the "sticky" outside. Well this year I had a HUGE problem. BEES, BEES, and MORE BEES. The bees got even worse than these photos show. It got so bad, I had to put everything away and start fresh the next day - doing all the work INSIDE and only processing outside.
I only got stung once which was amazing - cuz they kept landing on me! check out the bees....

















PEARS.....(oh, and one other new thing, some Pear Sauce)













PEACH SALSA

4 comments:

.kim.h. said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. You are super mom! I have never seen so many jars in my life! Can you teach me how to do that? :)

Jessica said...

WHOA! That's a lot of fruit! And a lot of bees. Yikes! Yeah, I agree with Kim...you need to teach a canning class for your fellow photo mommas. Although I have NO IDEA where I would get that much fruit! Good work!

Dana Williams said...

Wow! You are awesome!

Holly said...

Holy moley! Those bees are crazy, I wouldn't have been able to take a picture. You're amazing, I wish I was better at canning but that's just something I haven't gotten into. Yet. :)